Trendspotter Panel Picks 5 Top Trends of Winter Show
After searching the exhibit halls at the Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco since the show opened on Sunday, a panel of food writers and journalists have picked the top five food trends.
Here are the trends with product examples of each:
Sriracha, the fiery Thai chili sauce, was one of the biggest flavor trends – showing up in snacks, chocolates, and jams.
- The Jam Stand, Not Just Peachy, Sriracha Jam
- Hope Foods, Hope Hummus Organic Sriracha Hummus
- Simply Sprouted Way Better Snacks, Simply Spicy Sriracha Tortilla Chips
- The Popcorn Factory, Lite Works Popcorn! Sriracha
Snacks have evolved well past the common potato chip as the specialty food world continues to seek out and deliver exciting flavors and ingredients for more mindful snacking choices.
- Vintage Italia, Pasta Chips
- Simply 7, Quinoa Chips
- Simply Sprouted Way Better Snack, Pitaaah Chips
- 479˚ Popcorn, Toasted Sesame + Seaweed Popcorn
- Rhythm Superfoods, Super Food Chips
Shoppers will be seeing more low-sugar beverages – a switch from the trend in recent years towards alternative sweeteners.
- Califia Farms, Pure Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Xumma, Xumma Semi Sweet Cola
- Bruce Cost Ginger Ale, Bruce Cost Ginger Ale “66”
- Numi Organic Tea, Indulgent Tea, Chocolate Earl Grey
- Big Tree Farms, Coco Hydro
Commit to Mint
After years in the background, mint is taking a leading role as a popular flavor in a number of treats, reflecting a turn towards the revival of simple, familiar tastes.
- Torn Ranch, Dark Chocolate Mint Mélange
- Silk Road Soda, Cucumber with Mint, New Brands on the Shelf
- GoodPop All-Natural Frozen Pops, Hibiscus Mint
- Seely Mint, Mint Patties
- Victoria’s Kitchen, Mint & Licorice Almond Water
Condiments Dressed Up
Some classic items like ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise are getting a makeover with unexpected ingredients.
- Victoria Amory, Fine Herbs Mayonnaise
- Stonewall Kitchen, Truffle Ketchup
- Fischer & Wieser, Salted Caramel Mustard Sauce
- Amoretti, Premium Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil infused with Kalamata Olives
- Lillie’s Q Barbeque Sauces & Rubs, Ivory
In selecting the trends, this year’s panel of trendspotters carefully explored the show’s thousands of products. The trendspotter panel included: Ashley Koff, RD, founder of The AKA List; Nancy Hopkins, Better Homes and Gardens; Kara Nielsen, CEB Iconoculture Consumer Insights; Denise Purcell, senior director, content, for the Specialty Food Association; Jerry James Stone, blogger at Cooking Stoned; and Joanne Weir, host of PBS’s “Joanne Weir’s Cooking Confidence.”