Whole Foods Market will open a new 43,406-square-foot store in South Windsor, Connecticut, on January 17. This is the grocer’s fifth location in the Hartford area.
The store's product assortment will feature more than 1,000 local items from New England, sourced with the help of Holly Long, principal local forager for Whole Foods Market.
Features will include:
• Certified organic, conventional, and Sourced for Good produce, plus offerings from more than five local farms, including herbs and microgreens from Gilbertie’s Organics, juice varieties from RIPE Bar Juice, and sweet potatoes from Oxen Hill Farms.
• Specialty department featuring local items such as handmade pasta from Nuovo Pasta, pesto sauces from Bear Pond Farm, and mozzarella cheese from Calabro Cheese.
• Curated grocery section with a variety of local products, including dairy from Arethusa Farm, honey from Hilltop Apiaries, Rebel Dog Coffee Co., popcorn from LesserEvil, tortilla chips from Tortilleria Mi Niña, Sabatino Tartufi Truffle Pasta Sauces, and condiments from White Oak Farm & Table.
• Full-service seafood counter featuring local items from Twin Light Smokehouses and Rachel’s Table; all offerings are either sustainable wild-caught or Responsibly Farmed.
• Full-service meat counter, with fresh made-in-house sausage, dry-aged beef, and fresh and frozen organic meats; local pork will be available from Overbrook Farm, along with sausages from North Country Smokehouse, and Italian Style Beef Meatballs from Pineland Farms.
• Selection of more than 250 craft beers, with options from more than 30 local breweries, including Beer’d Brewing Co., Two Roads Brewing, and New England Brewing Co.
• Prepared Foods department featuring fresh sushi from Genji, self-serve pizza counter, and hot food and salad bars.
• Bakery department offering a local selection including pastries from Navad Bakers, Abe’s Muffins, cake slices and cupcakes from By the Way Bakery, cookies from Bisousweet Confections, and bagels from One Mighty Mill.
To give back to the community, Whole Foods will donate a refrigerated van to food rescue organization Gifts of Love through its Nourishing Our Neighborhoods program. Additionally, the retailer will make donations to South Windsor Food and Fuel Bank, South Windsor Community Foundation, and South Windsor Community Gardens on Avery and Deming Streets.