Specialty foods are growing in both awareness and purchases, with nearly 60 percent of consumers saying they have bought a specialty food or beverage in the past six months. The Fall issue of Specialty Food Magazine explores this growing awareness, with insights gleaned from the Today’s Specialty Food Consumer 2016 report, carried out in association with Mintel. Our report breaks down the leading trends in consumer behavior, including where consumers of different generations shop, what they are purchasing, how much they spend, as well as the key opportunities open to retailers in various channels. Other insights from the report include the influence of the male shopper, the millennial-parent factor, and the ways in which consumers across the generations seek education when it comes to specialty foods. Plus, we look at some of the hottest products hitting the market in appetizers, baking mixes, and holiday treats:
- 2016 Lifetime Achievement Awards: These six visionaries helped create the specialty food trade as we know it.
- Giving Back: New company Elephantea is committed to providing the best Ceylon tea, and saving Sri Lanka’s elephants in the process.
- Hacking the Marketplace: David Hack of online specialty retailer Direct Eats talks disrupting the e-commerce game.
- Cheese Focus: American cheesemakers are using beer in unexpected ways to add a signature scent and flavor to new cheeses.
- Category Spotlight: New offerings, alternative flours, and improved packaging are revitalizing the baking mix category.
- Buyers’ Picks: Retailers weigh in on which New Year’s Eve party foods are flying off the shelves.